Subject: Re: PixPro2 now shipping
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Walkup)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:10:29 -0700 (PDT)

The basic rule is, start with the highest resolution you can
on your image.  If importing a font, use the biggest size you
can, for instance.  (Though, as you mentioned, Modeler does a
far better job when converting a Postscript font.)  If you are
scanning the image, scan at the highest rez you can.  If it's
an Illustrator drawing, load it into Photoshop and "rasterize"
it with as many pixels as you can afford.

The only problem with this is that PixPro (version 1.0 at least)
chokes on very large bitmaps, at least in my experience.  So
you need to find a happy medium between High Res and what PixPro
won't choke on.  (Perhaps PixPro2.0 is better, I dunno.)  Then
when smoothing the edges, don't go too far - use low settings
for the smoothing values, and just deal with the large number of
points you will end up with.  You need a lot of points around
curves - too few, and you end up with rough, jagged edges in
your 3D model.  There is no way around that.

-- 
Jeff Walkup . [email-masked] . San Francisco . 415.668.7312